Thursday, May 17, 2012

Avocado Mac and Cheese

Today has been really lovely so far.  This morning I woke up and had an awesome bowl of oatmeal and then I drove over to my friend Bari's house.  Our plan was to go for a run (we are both training for half marathons) and then get lunch.  Our short run, turned into an almost 2 hour walk since we hadn't seen each other for a long time and decide that a healthy conversation with walking through the nearby nature reserve was more important than our training.  It was a great way to spend the morning and it made me really happy.

Along the way, we talked about our mutual love for avocados.  This is a perfectly normal conversation for us.  I told Bari about this awesome recipe that I tried of late from Two Peas and Their Pod for Avocado Mac and Cheese.  It was amazing comfort food and the perfect way to celebrate the end of a long run.  As we are both training for these marathons, I figured it was a perfect recipe to share today.

This morning made me so happy as I was able to combine my love of my friendship with Bari with fitness and food! This recipe does something pretty similar: it is pretty healthy, combines awesome flavors, is super comforting, and just makes me happy.

Avocado Mac and Cheese 





Ingredients:
1 12 oz box of whole wheat pasta
2 avocados, peeled and pitted
2 cloves garlic, minced
2 tbsp lime juice
1 tsp cilantro
salt and pepper
2 tbsp light butter
2 tbsp whole wheat flour
1 cup skim milk
2 cups shredded, light pepper jack cheese

Directions:
1. Cook the pasta according to the directions until al dente. Drain and set aside.
2. While pasta is cooking, place avocados, garlic, cilantro, lime juice, and salt and pepper to taste in a food processor and process until smooth and creamy.  
3. In a small saucepan, melt butter and stir in flour until you have a paste.  Pour in milk and whisk until smooth.  Finally, stir in the cheese and stir until melted.
4. In a large bowl, toss the pasta with the avocado sauce until coated.  Stir in the cheese mixture and toss until coated. 
Enjoy :)


4 comments:

  1. What a great healthy substitute to achieve that delicious creamy texture that we all seek from mac and cheese. The flavor must be a very welcomed addition too!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's exactly what I was going for! Plus, I just love avocado! I had this after a long work out and it was perfect!

      Delete
  2. Oh man, mac and cheese is my weakness! I love that you used whole wheat pasta, plus the avocado must add so much creamy flavor! Looks amazing.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much! By the way, I just adore your blog! Your post are so fun to read!

      Delete